Thursday 11 June 2015

Living like Kings on a Paupers Wage

On the 30th May it was James' birthday and hence the title we spent far to much money (well I did!) on an amazing weekend! He had no idea what I had planned when we caught the train from Kelvedon, just that we were going to have a fab day in London... 

So to start the day we headed to Camden, where straight away we were greeted with the craziness of the Mad Hatters Tea Party, placed on the egde of the curb charging £2 for a photograph. Don't worry I wouldn't disappoint... Best £2 I ever spent. 


Camden is beautiful in the sunshine, walk through the chatters of people and buskers along the river, head over the lock and down the cobble slope to lead you into the manic street food markets, my favourite part of Camden! Food from all over the world is placed at your finger tips with people handing you tasters as you walk through the bustling crowds, it is fantastic! We had the most delicious paella I have ever eaten.


 After the food, we looked around the markets, spent time in the sun listening to the most amazing busker and of course, found a bar to drink lots of cocktails! It was then time for the next surprise... The Hard Rock Cafe! It was, of course a 45 minute wait to sit inside but we were lucky enough with the weather so we decided to sit outside, we ordered two more cocktails and a plate of nachos to share for starters... Lets just say we didn't need much else after those nachos.

We also enjoyed a huge burger and two more cocktails at the inside bar, absolutely delicious, a little bit pricey, but with guitars and outfits on the wall from Jimi Hendrix and records from The Beatles, it is the ideal restaurant for a budding musician with a big appetite!

After The Hard Rock Cafe, it was time to head to James' next surprise. A quick trip on the Jubilee line and we arrived at Tower Bridge, we were going up The Shard! 72 floors later and we were looking 40 miles out of London, it was incredible.




We decided that as we were here, we would try out the Aquashard Bar, and let's just say it wasn't our best move ever... We got in the lift, (slightly hot and bothered by our busy day in London) with those in the fanciest suits and long evening dresses... OOPS! Once we were finally served at the bar, the bill nearly knocked us out at £32 for two drinks! I have to say though sipping champagne cocktails 32 floors above London wasn't the worst way to end an incredible day. It was then that I told James that we weren't in fact going home but that building you can see behind the champagne glass was in fact the hotel we were staying in... The Tower Bridge Hilton!

I really want to give you the background on this fantastic offer I experienced with Hilton as I really did hit the jackpot. When I originally booked, I managed to get one of their flash deals on a normal double room, at £140, however when I phoned to enquire about the cost of breakfast I nearly cried when they said it was £21.50 per person, they instead offered an upgrade on the room with breakfast included for just £20 each, so of course I agreed! When we arrived to check in, James still grinning from ear to ear the lady looked at us in surprise as she said "you have the best room in the hotel" and when we got up to the top floor and walked in we discovered why... 


This was the view that we had from our window, including the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in,  complimentary black forest gateau, a big tub and my name on the TV screen! James and I just looked at one another and laughed at how we did not belong in this room! The next morning we also had our breakfast inside the 'executive lounge' where you could only use your room key to get inside! We sat in a private breakfast bar with every type of breakfast imaginable, from smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, cheese and ham, pastries and cereals, they had everything, and whilst I tried to uphold the sophistication, neither James or myself could figure out how to work the toaster and James sat there eating nutella on bread. I don't think we are made for a posh lifestyle haha! 


The rain started as we were packing our things to leave the room, and reality came crushing down that it was back to college for James and back to mopping the bar floor for me the next morning. What a wonderful get away we had had, and I also reccommend  to any of you guys to experience The Shard's wonderful view, taste the food at the Hard Rock Cafe but mostly, try and sneak a deal The Hilton. I promise they will not disappoint!

See you on my next adventure,
Jadeene x

No comments:

Post a Comment